Purpose of the Update
After several rounds of feedback and testing, Gloo redesigned Messages to help you receive only the notifications you want, without unnecessary noise. But that’s not all — We improved the way you can communicate through Messages, added invitations for new Group Spaces, and built more intuitive unread message designs.
What improvements were made to Notifications?
New Unread Design
Unread Notifications will no longer show a red dot next to it. Instead, the background color of an unread Notification will be light blue. After it is read, the Notification background color will change to white.
Message Notification Control
Until now, users only had two choices for notifications — Receive notifications for every Message, or no notifications at all.
Notification Control provides more customization to what you actually want to know. Users can select to:
- Receive specific alerts for a Group Space
- Only when they are @mentioned
- Or unfollow Group Spaces notifications altogether
How do I change Notification Settings for each Message?
- Open the app
- Tap the Messages icon, found in the bottom navigation bar
- Select the Group Space or Direct Message you wish to change
- Tap the "i" button, found in the upper right corner of the screen
- Tap Notifications
- Select the type of notifications you wish to receive. Options include when:
- All New Messages
- Someone Mentions Me
- Never Alert Me
- Once selections are made, simply navigate back to the Group Space or Direct Message to apply the new Settings
What improvements were made to Messages?
Feature Name Change
To better distinguish itself from Direct Messages, Spaces are now be called Group Spaces.
New Unread Design
It’s easier than ever to spot new Group Spaces and Direct Messages!
- In the bottom navigation bar, the Messages icon will show a red badge, indicating the user has new content to explore
- For each Message that contains new activity, a +1 count is added to the Message icon badge
- In the main Messages list, a red dot will appear to each Group Space and Direct Message that contains unread content
New Join/Decline Space functionality
Users have more control over what they join! Now, users will not be added to new Group Spaces without their permission. They have the option to join or opt out of a Group Space.
- To opt-in to the Group Space, select Join on the Group Space Welcome Screen
- Users won’t receive notifications about the Group Space until they join
- To decline the Group Space invite, select Decline on the Group Space Welcome Screen
- Declined invites immediately vanish from their Notifications list
Unread Messages at-a-glance
Get caught up in a jiffy with a few usability improvements:
- Unread Message visibility
- Unread messages are grouped with a red line, making it easy to locate and read your new messages whenever you check in.
- Unread Message accessibility
- If there a many unread messages, a blue bar will appear at the top of the screen. Tapping the blue bar will take the user to the beginning of their unread messages without manually scrolling.
- Mark as Unread functionality
- Long-press any message to mark it as unread so you can easily come back to it later.
Champion Message Improvement Parity
New designs also applies to Champion Spaces! Front Line Champion Messages will receive the same improvements.